Pint of Science brings some of the most brilliant scientists to your local pubs and cafes to discuss their latest research and findings with you. You don't need any prior knowledge, and this is your chance to meet the people responsible for the future of science (and have a drink with them). The festival runs over a few days in May every year, but we occasionally run events during other months.
Pint of Science Ireland is a registered charity. The register charity number is 20204755.
In 2012 Dr Michael Motskin and Dr Praveen Paul were two research scientists at Imperial College London in the UK. They started and organised an event called ‘Meet the Researchers’. It brought people affected by Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, motor neuron disease and multiple sclerosis into their labs to show them the kind of research they do. It was inspirational for both visitors and researchers. They thought if people want to come into labs to meet scientists, why not bring the scientists out to people? And so Pint of Science was born. In May 2013 they held the first Pint of Science festival in just three UK cities. It quickly took off around the world and is now in nearly 30 countries and over 400 cities.
We'll be in the following towns and cities: Dublin, Limerick, Galway, Cork, Birr, Dundalk, Athlone and Waterford.
Events fall into the following topics:
- Beautiful Mind - neuroscience, psychology, and psychiatry
- Atoms to Galaxies - physics, chemistry, maths, and astronomy
- Our Body - medicine, human biology, and health
- Planet Earth - geosciences, plant sciences, and zoology
- Tech Me Out - biotechnology, robotics, and computers
- Our Society - law, history, politics, policy, and languages